Lori McLaughlin Beight
Lori McLaughlin Beight received her undergraduate degree in International Business from Linfield College, magna cum laude. She
worked in business administration, public relations and marketing and managed both for-profit and not-for-profit entities for over ten years prior to attending law school. This extensive business experience lends a depth of understanding to her business advising which showed in her later law school career. She earned her law degree from Willamette University, earning honors in Business Lawyering, Clinical Practice and Negotiation.
Lori is a third generation Oregonian. She has four children, three of which are grown and all of which are a credit to her. She is a mid-life resident of the Pearl District after a lifetime in the suburbs and a childhood in a small town.
- Oregon State Bar
- WealthCounsel National Association of Estate Planning Attorneys
- Board Member, Portland Pearl District Rotary, President 2015-2016
- Board Member, UCP, providing services to people with disabilities and their families
- Former West Linn-Wilsonville School Board Member
- Board Member for Grandma’s House, shelter for unwed mothers in Bend, Oregon
- Board Member, Si Padres, Spanish Immersion charter school applicant
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Business from Linfield College, magna cum laude
- Juris Doctor from Willamette College of Law, honors in Business Lawyering, Clinical Practice and Negotiation
Activities and Interests
Lori is profoundly grateful that she gets to do what she loves every day when she comes to work. Whether it’s helping a client plan how to manage their assets and provide for their families and employees, or planning a 3,000 mile family road trip for nine people over Spring Break, planning for people she cares about is her passion.
A list of future activities and interests might include a transatlantic crossing on a sailboat, a hot air balloon ride, teaching at a university, living abroad for a year, getting a PhD and seeing the last of her kids in to a healthy and productive adulthood. If she only gets to launch the last kid successfully, that would be enough.
Kristin was born near Detroit, Michigan and grew up a true Midwestern girl with deep Scandinavian roots. Leaving Michigan for college, she attended a small liberal arts school in Minnesota, St. Olaf College. After half a year in Boston and a few years in south Texas, Kristin came to Oregon to attend law school at Lewis & Clark.
Although she hated to leave the Pacific Northwest after law school, Kristin’s first job was with a small plaintiffs’ firm with a focus on environmental law in south Texas where she represented individuals and small business owners with contaminated property. She participated in a case that went to trial in Hidalgo County, Texas that returned a $100 million dollar verdict against multiple oil and natural gas companies.
Kristin returned to Portland in 2008 and shifted her focus to estate planning. Like in her environmental work, Kristin’s focus is on helping people. In estate planning, Kristin helps clients navigate complicated family dynamics and design creative and protective solutions for preserving wealth for future generations.
- Oregon State Bar
- Texas State Bar (Inactive)
- Washington State Bar (Pending)
- NW Forum Leader, WealthCounsel National Association of Estate Planners
- United Way Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Bachelor’s Degree from St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota
- Juris Doctor from Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon, cum laude
Activities and Interests
When the weather cooperates, Kristin can be found outside running, hiking and camping with her family. In any weather, she enjoys curling up with a good book, strong coffee, and animals of all kinds. A true story– while serving on the board of the Humane Society in Texas, Kristin collected a rather high number of foster pets– characteristically, they all found their permanent home with her. Kristin studied the cello through college and now practices with her kids. She enjoys a clever joke and a good pun.
Kaitlyn Metscher, Legal Assistant
Kaitlyn joined our office in October 2016. She obtained her Bachelors degree from Azusa Pacific University College in 2016, and she has set her sights on becoming an attorney. She started her own business to put herself through debt free.